Want to improve your game?
The simple secret, believe it or not, may be to get a custom mouthguard.
According to the ADA, more than 10 million children and young adults, ages 5 through 22, have been injured while playing sports. In fact, sports related injuries result in 20 million days of missed school and $33 billion in spending on healthcare. And 33% of dental injuries, such as damaged or lost teeth, are due to sports activities.
Preventing these injuries with protective gear, such as mouthguards, is the best way to start bringing these statistics down. The cost of the mouthguard is a fraction of what it will cost to replace or fix a cracked tooth. It’s estimated that an athlete is 60 times less likely to damage their teeth when wearing a properly fitted mouth guard. Mouthguards have some hidden benefits as well, especially when it comes to performance enhancement.
Here are a few more reasons to get a custom-fitted mouthguard from Knowlton Dental Associates.
1) Prevent chipped teeth, tooth fractures and dislocations due to external impact forces.
2) Ever bite your cheek? It hurts. Mouth guards prevent teeth from catching the inside of your cheeks.
3) Prevent upper/lower teeth collisions. Imagine biting real hard, but with nothing in-between your teeth. That causes damage and it can be avoided with a mouth protection device.
4) Absorb impact forces – kind of like shocks on your car. Taking some of the force away from direct impact of your upper and lower jaws can prevent some neurological injuries, such as concussions.
5) Enhance Performance: Feeling more confident while wearing a mouthguard can directly impact your performance. You’re not worried about injuries, so less stress and more focus on the game at hand!
6) Surprise opponents: What would happen if you opened up your mouth and instead of a smile, your opponent saw FANGS! WHOA! SURPRISE! This can help create a competitive advantage – and that advantage, no matter how small, can help you succeed in your goals to win the big game.
Dr. Knowlton can make custom mouthguards for you or your team, just as he as done for Women’s Field Hockey, as the Olympic Team Dentist.
Contact us today to start protecting your teeth and enhancing your competitive edge.