Here at Knowlton Dental Associates, we see a lot of patients who are concerned about halitosis – also known as bad breath or in some circles, dog breath. So we thought we would help educate patients about what you can do to keep your pearly whites clean and your breath odor-free!
Naturally, good oral hygiene on your part is the first step. With proper brushing and flossing you can keep halitosis in check. Even though you may have done an excellent job of brushing and flossing your teeth, if you fail to brush your tongue, you may still have bad breath. Try irrigating as well using a water pick or water flosser.
Bad breath is caused by odor-producing bacteria that grow in your mouth. Certain foods, medications, smoking, sinus issues, or even gum disease can cause bad breath. Here is a list of the things you can do to help keep your breath from smelling foul:
- Brush: use an electric toothbrush if you can and a professional grade toothpaste
- Floss: hate flossing? Try a flosser or water flosser.
- Irrigate: get a portable flosser and some irrigation solution and you’ll never look back!
- Kick the habit: Stop smoking/chewing tobacco-based products
- Hydrate your mouth: a dry mouth typically leads to bad breath, drinking water or eating oranges or celery may help. If you’re looking for a product – look no further than here
- Get Regular Checkups / Cleanings: It goes without saying that this is the best way to stay on track and keep gum issues in check. Plus, you wouldn’t want to disappoint your favorite hygienist would you?
Get to our Lancaster County office for regular dental checkups: By visiting Knowlton Dental Associates at least twice a year, you will keep bad breath at bay. Dr. Knowlton will conduct an oral exam and will be able detect and treat periodontal disease, dry mouth, or other problems that may be the cause of bad mouth odor.